Sunday, August 26, 2012

Eavesdropping: A Perfectly Good Monkey...

You know how bananas get a little grey/brown looking after they've sat, peel-less for a little time?  Well.  I gave each little girl a half a banana for dinner tonight and there were about 45 minutes of hemming and hawing about eating them and by the time wills may have been willing, they bananas were grayish-brown.  You know.  Yucky. So Annie declares that she will not eat this "dirty banana" and goes in search to the banana basket of the "cleanest banana" and  I'm waiting for Jonathan to bring the pain, because not only has he told them to stay in their seats, wasting food is generally frowned upon in our fam.  So he, Jonathan, in all seriousness and with a grave and dignified voice says:

Annie. Sit down this instant and eat this banana. Don't you know, a perfectly good monkey had to die so you could have this banana?

I stifled my laugh, but only until I got into the kitchen and pretended to do the dishes.

As I write, it has been about an hour and both girls are running around howling and the bananas are yet uneaten.  And I am BLOGGING.  Not supporting. Not encouraging.  Blogging. Yep, folks.  That's how we roll. We are awesome parents. Seriously. Take notes.  Sigh.

All the best to you little dead, bananaless monkey.  It's a cruel world. I'm so sorry my children aren't more grateful. 

4 comments:

Jenny said...

This is the BEST thing I have read in weeks. Still laughing.

lis said...

I tried to read aloud this to my hubby and I couldn't make it through! Poor dead bananaless monkey.

On a brighter note, if you put a tiny little bit of citrus (liquid oj is easiest in the States) on your fruit, bananas don't go gret and apples don't go to rust.

Jay said...

Maggie, I love reading your blog because I feel like I am reading about my own life! :) Jay and I were just joking the other day about what "great" parents we were because we MADE cole like the water this summer by keeping him in the ocean even with him screaming and now he loves it. :) Not sure we should ever write a book about great parenting methods....
Miss you and think of you often!

Jackie

scs said...

We are taking notes! Sounds like pretty perfect parental responses to me, ha. And, a happy birthday to you Maggie. Thank you (thru your writing) for normalizing the struggles of motherhood but pushing me to grasp the joy and blessedness of the calling, too!